Thursday, May 24, 2012

What can I do to reduce Service Desk Calls by …

I have been thinking about iDM tool deployment and have started to think about a benefit that could be unrealised while we think about synching connected systems.

Perhaps we could reduce Service Desk calls for Password Synch and Resets and maybe save the licencing costs of the iDM solution on the front end.

Source: http://privacycartoonportfolio.blogspot.com.auGartner says

The two most frequent call types are how-to requests (how to access or operate IT resources) and password reset (establishing or regaining the privilege to access IT resources). Because password problems make up 20 percent to 30 percent of all IT service desk volume, with most of those issues resolvable by password reset tools, automating this function can save organizations the costs of supporting this type of request.

I want to talk about Password Self Service, Password Synchronisation and Enterprise Single Sign On.

I’ll tackle these topics before going on to more complicated iDM topics so over the next few weeks we will learn about Passwords yay!!

7 comments:

  1. Dave - it's ironic Gartner (and we) are still talking about password resets in 2012, when we are supposed to have graduated to other more secure means of authentication by now. Password sync is where the intrinsic problems with passwords really come to light ... looking forward to your article

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. it's ironic that right now I need a password reset on my personal webmail and there IS one but I can't access it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm bias here but this is one thing FIM does really well well at least in the password reset and registration sections. They have a functionality that can be done right from the logon screen without the need to be logged on.... Enterprise SSO is another thing altogether in my opinion, this has a number of dependencies and factors which make this a very tricky beast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep thus the plan too look carefully. I have a project right now where there is an issue with SSO but really it is a mix of replication of reset credentials and wanting to synch something not easily generated.

    Of course my first question normally include Kerberos but in his case less fun :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably going to touch synch which will be FIM 2010 trying to get back to my Microsoft roots.

    Will also talk about other systems we have where I work and might even try to figure out a way to solve SSO for the man on the street with say Keypass or similar so will be a learning journey I suspect.

    ReplyDelete