Monday, December 13, 2010

Small Agency Mentoring Program #AGIMO

I recently began following John Sheridan from AGIMO and since I’ve not followed much of what he has been doing since I was in Defence, I took a peek back through his Twitter Feed in as non stalkerish way as possible (BTW Days NOT Years) came across a link to the Small Agency Mentoring Program (SAM).

Mentoring programs like SAM are important because they help to build the capability of the APS by strengthening cross-agency relationships and developing future ICT leaders. For more information on mentoring programs supported by the Department of Finance and Deregulation please take a look at the website:

I’m an IT Contractor and have been for many years and the thing I find all over is Infrastructure People in Agencies both big and small have very little clue who their peers are, let alone what they can share with each other.

I notice Mentoring Programs for SES and Women in IT both of which I’m very supportive.

I wonder if Agencies are to do more with less how do Technical Leaders (Contractors too) get to network and share with each other.

I use Facebook, LinkedIn and even Twitter to extend my contacts in my field and locally try to connect widely with my peers. I am aware that there is some nervousness from Agency Security Advisors about public social networks and I understand why they think they should be nervous however are we not talking about professionals.

I guess I’m proposing Public Social Networking for an Essentially Closed Population. Not seeking to provide an answer but wonder how to discuss this sensibly.

What I’m saying is good job going as far as you do. How do we grow that???

Comments OPEN

Small Agency Mentoring Program | AGIMO Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment